History

Origins of the name ‘Doutta Galla’:DGAS 25 Yr Logo

The name ‘Doutta Galla’ was given to the western bank of the Moonee Ponds Creek by Robert Hoddle in 1837. History indicates that the name has indigenous origins however the exact origin of the name is not known. It has been suggested that the name originated from a reference in John Batman’s Treaty of Melbourne to the Chief of an original native tribe named “Dutigalla”. Others have suggested that ‘Doutta Galla’ was named after the wife of an indigenous man (Jika Jika) who worked with John Batman. Alternatively, some believe that it is a European corruption of an Aboriginal name for the area, most likely “N’uthergalla”.

In 1937 the electorate of ‘Doutta Galla’ was officially formed as part of the Victorian Legislative Council and underwent various re-divisions up until 2006 when it was eventually dissolved by the former Labour Premier, Steve Bracks.

Our Logo:

Our logo was launched in 2013, and symbolises our belief in fostering a close relationship between the resident, their family and our organisation.

In indigenous symbology, ∩ signifies ‘person’ and the inclusion of this symbol in our logo serves to acknowledge that we are on the traditional lands of the Kulin Nation and offers our respect to the Elders of these traditional lands and, through them, to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples past and present.

The circle in the centre of this symbol represents our residents who we believe should be at the heart of all that the organisation strives to achieve. The resident in turn is supported by their family, who are in turn supported by Doutta Galla. We believe the logo reinforces the special relationship Doutta Galla has with residents and families, and the concept of a supportive embrace with genuine warmth.

Origins of Doutta Galla Aged Services Ltd:

The origins of the organisation itself trace back to the efforts of a group of concerned community members who firmly believed that there was a real and genuine need for a charitable, non-denominational aged care organisation to service the needs of the elderly in the electorate of Doutta Galla, and the western suburbs more generally.

With strong and early support from the City of Melbourne Council, our organisation was officially launched on 12 April 1991 with our first facility, Lynch’s Bridge built and opened in 1992.

The organisation’s earliest mission was to ensure that all individuals within our community should have access to affordable and good quality aged care services – regardless of their individual socio-economic status, race, gender, ethnicity, religion, or culture. These aspirations remain an integral part of our mission, vision and values today and will continue to shape the strategic direction of the organisation into the future.