Dear Residents, Families and Friends
Given the rise in the number of COVID-19 outbreaks within or adjacent to the postcodes where many Doutta Galla homes are located, it is with deep disappointment that Doutta Galla has once again made the difficult decision to restrict visits to our aged care homes. This comes into effective at 5 pm today. Restricting visits is the best option we have to keep the virus out and to keep your family member safe. I acknowledge the difficulties that this will create for our residents, families and staff.
This decision comes following the advice from the Victorian Premier, Daniel Andrews regarding the return of stage 3 restrictions and the new ‘stay at home orders’ for 10 postcodes in Victoria. The Victorian restrictions will begin at midnight on 1 July and conclude at midnight on 29 July 2020. This is an unfortunate situation for all of us living in Victoria and it will once again be challenging for many families over the coming weeks.
It is important to also let you know that presently we do not have known cases of COVID-19 at any of our Doutta Galla aged care homes. We hope that by taking this action we can do our part to minimise the opportunity for the virus to be spread.
What this means for you and your loved ones
- Visitors will not be allowed to enter a metropolitan Doutta Galla aged care home until further notice from the Victorian Health experts.
- Doutta Galla staff will assist you to have regular phone and video contact with your loved ones. Window visits and chat decks will still be available.
- End of life and visits for exceptional circumstances will be allowed. We ask that you contact the Manager of the home to make arrangements if this applies to you.
- Doutta Galla will continue to provide the best care and support to ensure we meet resident health and physical needs.
- Hairdressers and non-essential services are postponed until further notice. We are working with staff to create alternative ways to keep our residents active and engaged.
We cannot pretend that life has returned to normal. It has not. As a service provider who cares for the most vulnerable people in our society, we have an obligation to protect our residents. We also want our residents’ families to take care of themselves.
The escalation in the number of cases is a reminder that we all have a role to play in keeping our community and loved ones free from COVID-19. I urge you to follow the directives put in place by the Government. Please do not go out when you are sick and do not ignore the rules around physical distancing.
If you live in one of the suburbs that now has the additional restrictions, you cannot have visitors in your home and there are only four reasons to be out:
- Shopping for food and supplies
- Care and caregiving
- Study or work
Similarly, those who live outside of these postcode zones, may only enter into those areas for the reasons listed above. We understand that regular police patrols will occur in and around these zones.
The normal means of contact for any questions or concerns is via the Home where you or your loved one lives however, you are welcome to send any questions, comments or concerns related to COVID-19 to us. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your ongoing support during this challenging and unprecedented time.
CEO, Doutta Galla Aged Services