Protecting Doutta Galla Residents from COVID – 19
It is with a heavy heart that following the Government’s announcement today about protecting older Australians who live in residential aged care, Doutta Galla has made the decision to lock down our aged care homes effective immediately. Our absolute priority is to protect our residents, their families as well as our staff.
It is important to advise that presently we do not have any known cases of COVID-19 at any of our Doutta Galla aged care homes.
What this means
- Doutta Galla will continue to provide the best care and support to ensure we meet the health and physical needs of our residents
- No visitors will be permitted to enter a Doutta Galla aged care home until further notice
- Care staff will assist residents to have regular phone and video contact with their loved ones
- Only staff and those providing essential services shall be permitted into a Doutta Galla aged care home
- If a resident chooses to leave a Doutta Galla aged care home, they will not be permitted to return unless they have undergone a 14 day isolation period and have a full clearance from their Doctor
- External social activities will be cancelled until further notice. Doutta Galla will continue with small group activities inside the aged care home where social distancing can be maintained
- Hairdressers, entertainers and non-essential services are cancelled until further notice. We are working with staff to determine alternative ways to keep residents active and engaged.
Staff are well trained in infection control (for example influenza and gastro) and will ensure the appropriate protocols are in place. As well, we are working closely with our suppliers and are able to provide residents with quality meals, medical equipment, hygiene products, toilet paper, tissues, soap etc.
Doutta Galla staff, and those providing essential services, will not be permitted to enter a Doutta Galla home if they:
- Have returned from overseas travel in the last 14 days
- Are currently undergoing 14 days self-isolation
- Have been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID – 19 in the last 14 days
- Currently have a fever or symptoms or an acute respiratory infection
How you can help
Preventative measures continue to be important. You can help to reduce the spread of COVID – 19 by:
- Regularly washing your hands with soap and water
- Coughing and sneezing into your elbow
- Staying at least 1.5 metres from people (do not hug, shake hands, kiss or touch for now)
- Using the hand sanitisers were available
Please remember to seek medical advice if you are experiencing:
- Muscle aches
- Shortness of breath
- Gastro, vomiting or any other infectious symptoms
What you can do to assist at this time
- Contact loved ones by phone or iPad
- Write letters or send a card to people living in our aged care homes
- Send gifts and things that remind your loved one of home (things that can be laundered or wiped down)
- Send photos via mobile phone, keep your loved one connected to family and friends
We ask for your patience as we work out way through this. We are in unchartered waters and be assured that any decisions we take will be made with our residents’ best interests at the forefront. Doutta Galla will continue to take advice from the Department of Health and we will provide updates on a regular basis.
This is a time when we must all support one another. We want to assure you that Doutta Galla will continue to place resident wellbeing as our highest priority. Senior staff at Doutta Galla are reviewing our response constantly and monitoring changes as they occur. Consequently, we may need to make changes to current arrangements at short notice.
Doutta Galla will continue to take advice from industry experts and we will provide updates on a regular basis.
Please remember that staff and management at Doutta Galla aged care homes are available to answer any questions.
Your cooperation and patience is appreciated during this challenging time as we implement measures to protect the health and safety of our residents.